Wednesday 19 October 2011

My needs.

So thinking about my needs in regards to knitting has been challenging. I was struggling to find the words to describe why I knit; until I found these quotes which just say it all:

“...the number one reason knitters knit is because they are so smart that they need knitting to make boring things interesting. Knitters are so compellingly clever that they simply can't tolerate boredom. It takes more to engage and entertain this kind of human, and they need an outlet or they get into trouble." 
 -- Stephanie Pearl-McPhee 

"...knitters just can't watch TV without doing something else. Knitters just can't wait in line, knitters just can't sit waiting at the doctor's office. Knitters need knitting to add a layer of interest in other, less constructive ways.” 
-- Stephanie Pearl-McPhee 

So there you have it I knit because I don't like sitting around doing nothing. My fingers get fidgety and my brain starts drifting off. I also sometimes get annoyed that nothing is getting done, but if I have my knitting to do at least I have something to show for the time I was sitting around either waiting or watching tv.

Need over the past few weeks:
The need I stated above is an overarching need of my life. But I realised that it wasn't specifically the need that knitting is fulfilling. I do fulfill this need with knitting, but if I couldn't knit I would fulfilled it in some other way such as crochet or drawing. So I dove a little deeper and have discovered that the reason I'm knitting at the moment is for my mother. So really the need that knitting is fulfilling in my life at the moment is to maintain my relationship with my mother. It shows her that I use the skills that she's taught me and I put effort and thought into the gifts I give her.

Quotes from this website

4 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting way of expressing your need for knitting. I would however like to see more depth in your explanation to really get a sense of your need. Why is knitting a way of keeping busy? why this particular activty? get what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ju,......as i know you as a person...i understand your need to do something...i can relate to your need because i am like you too. Every minute is precious and an "idle mind is a devil's workshop" but also idle hands are wasted time...time that will never return. After all we express our love in many languages....and having the need to do something is our language ...i believe.....Creation is beautiful....well done you have done a good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Judith you have really got me thinking. I am someone who has to always be doing something. I mean I do love to relax but my relaxing is generally doing something but I never thought of knitting as something I could be doing. Knitting for me has always seemed like it would be too much of a hassle or too time consuming.
    Thanks for the insight

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Judith, It is easy to see you get a lot of pleasure from knitting, and its so cool that you have knitting to keep your hands busy. I am the same and don't like just sitting in front of the tv, or anywhere with nothing to do, so I like to get my scrapbooking out if It's not going to disturb my flatmates, but if it will then i like to pick up my cross-stitch which is another good way of keeping my hands, busy while doing other things.

    ReplyDelete