Wednesday 28 September 2011

Aesthetics, Spirituality, Health

The other day I made my brother a hat, that in my opinion was really, really ugly.  The colours didn't go together well, and the textures of the different yarns didn't mix well, but he liked it.  My preference is to just have one colour when making a hat, but if you must have two, they should match well.  The pattern was plain and simple, and I find a more complex pattern to be more desirable and aesthetically pleasing.
When it comes to knitting, a general rule is that the finished item must fit to the pattern to be aesthetically pleasing.  I know that my brother didn't care what type of hat I made him, it was the fact that I had made him a hat that was important.  For some people, it is important to make a gift that will fit the aesthetic preferences of the person they are giving it to.  When I make a hat for my mum, I'll make a fancier pattern in a colour she likes.
Knitting seems more appropriate from an aesthetic viewpoint in a cooler climate.  There is something really strange about someone wearing a warm jumper on a hot day.  It just looks wrong.

Knitting has a link to my relationship with my family and ancestors. I connect with my past and my sense of being a woman when I knit. Since I perceive knitting as a very womanly task, something that I could do for my family in the present and in the future. I think of all those woman who have knitted for various reasons in the past. I feel connected to my culture and ancestors. Knitting is a part of the history and culture of New Zealand and celebrates our Anglo-celtic heritage (Nicholson, 1998). Since I have a large helping of Anglo-Celtic heritage I like to think of all of those women up my family tree who have knitted and wonder what it meant to them. I am carrying on a tradition of our family and I hope to be able to pass it on down the family tree.

Knitted clothes are normally made of natural wool, which keeps you very warm. This is good for your health! 

Nicholson, H. (1998). The loving stitch: A history of knitting and spinning in New Zealand. Auckland, NZ: Auckland University Press. 

1 comment:

  1. I like how you discussed that knitting goes back to you're women-ness and heritage. Also, how it links in with you're relationships. Knitting sounds like an important aspect of your life and love reading you're posts. Would love to see some pictures :)

    ReplyDelete