Thursday 15 September 2011

Ergonomics

Ergonomics is important to ensure that the task and environment fit the person. Throughusing ergonomics the activity can be altered as necessary to suit the client and be appropriate for the environment. Therapists need to  "constantly make slight invisible adjustments to an activity to adapt to the needs of those taking part and ensure that it continues to work for it's intended purpose" (Caulton & Dickson, 2007).

So in class we looked at the three parts of ergonomics; person, activity and environment. Here is a summary of my knitting under the three headings.

Person
  • I am a young knitter.
  • Knitting is a preferred activity for me.
  • I have a certain level of competence but am still learning new skills.
  • I am able to knit while doing other things, eg. chatting or watching TV.
  • I need enough personal space to spread out wool and move knitting needles.
  • I have not got a large budget for knitting.
  • I find knitting relaxing.               
Activity
  • Knitting has an internal rhythm caused by counting eg. knit one...purl one......
  • Knitting has an external rhythm eg. clicking needles and repetitive movements. 
  • Patterns guide the process.
  • Different levels of engagement are required for different difficulties of pattern.
  • Wool, yarn needles and patterns all cost money which is a restriction.
Environment
  • To knit the social environment needs to be appropriate and supportive.
  • Knitting is culturally appropriate for me as my mother, sisters, grandmothers and some friends knit.  
  • The environment must be free from too much distraction eg. deep conversations or really engaging TV.
  • The environment can encourage knitting eg. knitting with friends, knitting in winter.

Those are a basic outline of my ergonomics, if I think of anything else I'll add it in.


        
Reference:

Caulton, R & Dickson, R. (2007). What's going on? Finding an explanation for what we do. In J. Creek & A. Lawson-Porter (Eds.) Contemporary issues in occupational therapy. Chichester: John-Wiley & Sons Ltd

No comments:

Post a Comment