Monday 19 September 2011

Yay! Getting started!

So I have finally bought some wool and found a pattern online. I'm knitting a hat for my mother. This will be the second hat I have knitted for her. Here is the story behind mummy's hats:

My mother rang me one day and we were discussing the hat that I was knitting for myself. She told me that the hat she had been wearing for the last 22 years was finally giving up the ghost, and could I knit her a new one. So I duly knitted her a dark blue mohair hat and sent it off to her. Meanwhile she had managed to use elastic and fix her old one satisfactorily so now she had two hats. My mother has a small cleaning job once a week for an elderly gentleman. One day she was cleaning and the weather was warming up so she removed her hat (the 22yr old one) and put it with her things. She left in quite a hurry that day as she needed to get to university for a class. When she got there she searched for her hat but it was nowhere to be found. Realising that she must have left it at work she thought "I'll get it next week" (conveniently she had another hat that someone had kindly knitted for her :) ). The following week on arriving at work she asked "Did I leave my hat here last week?" This was at first met by a blank stare then a sheepish look "I'm sorry. But I may be guilty of a grave indiscretion. Was that your hat? I saw an old raggy hat on my driveway and got annoyed that someone had thrown their rubbish into my yard so picked it up and I threw it in the rubbish!". Needless to say this was followed by a very amusing telephone call and a request for a second hat.

So the hat I'm knitting now is that hat. It will be red and here is the pattern I'm using.

No comments:

Post a Comment